Thursday, October 4, 2007

Prague, Czech Republic (June 2005)

During the summer after I graduated college, two of my best friends and I took an extensive backpacking tour of Europe, and Prague was our third destination of the trip. When we arrived the air was warm, and the sky a gorgeous azure blue, dotted with hundreds of small, airy clouds. A welcome change from the foggy cold of Germany. We took a taxi from our hotel to Old Town Square, where we began exploring the city. Prague's tagline "city of one hundred spires," rings true as you stroll through the square. The buildings have not been cleaned or prettied up for the sake of tourism as is the custom in Western Europe. I got the feeling of going back in time- the true spirit of bohemia; walking along aging green statues of Christ, street musicians and vendors puttering around selling paintings and marionette dolls, the conversation of guttural accents.

After some sites, we indulged in Prague cuisine - known for hearty, stick-to-your-ribs fare and world renown beer. After discovering a charming restaurant off the beaten path, we enjoyed Pilsner's (so much better in Prague than the US) and goulash. Goulash: if you're unfamiliar is made from beef, onions, red peppers, and paprika, often served over white bread. Now, I have to say when the goulash arrived it looked like brown slop; totally unappetizing. However after my brave friend took a bite and us less adventurous foodies tried it, I'd pass on this advice - suck it up - because it is actually delicious (even if it looks gross).

1 comment:

Joy said...

Michelle, reading your blog makes my heart yearn to go back to Europe! Also, I love, love, LOVE the Mark Twain quote and am putting it up in my office today. Can I borrow it for my blog? Twain expresses my world perspective so eloquently and it was like water to my soul to read it (aka must travel SOON!). Thanks!